Bijna 100.000 bezoekers p/mnd! Zie hier

Ga terug   Haarweb Forum > Trichotillomanie > Boeken en artikelen

Reageren

Discussietools Discussie waarderen Weergave
Oud 27 april 2003, 17:50   #1
Nora
HaarWeb lid

from ABC news

Doctors aren't sure what causes trichotillomania. It usually starts in early adolescence. Researchers speculate that it's caused by a grooming gene gone berserk.

Despite what it looks like, it's not self-mutilation, it's not triggered by trauma, and because there are no obsessive thought patterns involved, it is not considered an obsessive-compulsive disorder. Instead, trich is a "body focus disorder," similar to severe nail biting or extreme skin picking. The condition is chronic and there is no cure.

Zie verder :
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/...ing030425.html

Nora
Nora is offline   Met citaat reageren
Oud 28 april 2003, 02:16   #2
bolleke
HaarWeb lid

Dag Nora, dag anderen,

"The condition is chronic and there is no cure."

TTM heb je inderdaad voor de rest van je leven. De drang zal er altijd zijn. Je moet steeds op je hoede blijven...

MAAR; TTM HOEFT geen vijand te zijn!!!

TTM kan ook je vriend zijn en je wijzen op je verkeerd gedrag, je verkeerde manier van leven, TTM houdt je een spiegel voor en is zo lief voor jou, hij wijst je op je grenzen, TTM laat je aanvoelen dat je meer liefde voor jezelf moet koesteren!!!

Het kán lieve mensen, echt waar, het kan! Je kunt winnen van je TTM, als je maar de moeite doet om te luisteren naar jezelf en om heel dicht bij jezelf te gaan staan. Verloochen jezelf niet, hou van jezelf en gun jezelf de liefde die je verdient...

TTM heb je levenslang, maar als je goed voor jezelf zorgt, kan je er perfect én gelukkig mee leven... je hoeft niet te plukken, je hoeft niet te trekken, je hoeft alleen maar bereid te zijn om deze behoefte los te laten en plaats te maken voor iets anders, iets veel mooiers,... rust in jezelf...

Ik heb zo lang gevochten, en nu hoeft het niet meer. Geloof erin, echt waar, het kán!!!

Sterkte, Bolleke (Daniëla)

Laatst gewijzigd door bolleke; 28 april 2003 om 18:03
bolleke is offline   Met citaat reageren
Oud 28 april 2003, 11:29   #3
Isabelle
HaarWeb lid

Hey iedereen,

Al een hele tijd geleden dat ik nog es iets geschreven heb op het forum. Ik kom wel geregeld nog es lezen op het forum maar het schrijven lukt me niet zo goed mee.... Maar deze keer was de 'drang' :-) toch wel te groot...

Bolleke ik wou je gewoon zeggen, dat datgene wat je net geschreven hebt me toch wel ergens geraakt heeft...inderdaad liefde voor jezelf en rust in jezelf... (ik werk eraan, met veeeel ups en nog veel meer downs :-)) Heb je mooi neergeschreven, bedankt.

Vele groetjes en het ga jullie goed!

Isabelle*
Isabelle is offline   Met citaat reageren
Oud 29 april 2003, 11:37   #4
Webmaster
Your friendly webmaster

Webmaster's schermafbeelding

Geslacht:
Post Artikel: Bad Hair Ways

Bedankt Nora voor het vermelden van dit artikel! Hierbij het volledige artikel wat verschenen is op de ABCNews.com website:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bad Hair Ways
The Sad, Secretive Hair-Pulling Disorder

Sufferers of Hair-Pulling Disorder Speak of the Pain and Shame They Endure

April 25 — Stephanie Recob began doing it when she was 11 years old. By 13, she was bald and wearing a wig to hide her painful secret.

Mandi Line suffers from an unusual compulsion to pull out her own hair. It's called trichotillomania. (ABCNEWS.com)

"My head is ugly. Think of an 80-year-old man with no hair — that's what I look like," said Recob.
At 19, Recob is smart and athletic, but the college junior just can't stop pulling out her hair. She suffers from trichotillomania, "trich" for short.

Recob has never shown her head to anyone outside her family and says she never will. As odd as Recob's case may sound, it is not rare. An estimated 4 million women and 2 million men across the country are doing this to themselves.

Recob says she can go only two or three days without pulling her hair. "I don't understand it. I don't understand why I pull my hair out. It's not my fault. I don't do it on purpose. If I could stop I would," she said.

A ‘Body Focus Disorder’

Doctors aren't sure what causes trichotillomania. It usually starts in early adolescence. Researchers speculate that it's caused by a grooming gene gone berserk.

Despite what it looks like, it's not self-mutilation, it's not triggered by trauma, and because there are no obsessive thought patterns involved, it is not considered an obsessive-compulsive disorder. Instead, trich is a "body focus disorder," similar to severe nail biting or extreme skin picking. The condition is chronic and there is no cure.

Recob has tried everything she can think of to quit — from wearing stocking caps to bed at night or mittens on her hands to drug therapy. "I was on Anafranil, BuSpar, Luvox, Neurontin, Ambien, Zoloft, Prozac," she said. Sadly, none of it worked.

Doctors believe, for some people, a combination of antidepressants and behavior modification can help. But for some patients, like Recob, these therapies simply do not work.

Pleasure, Pain and Shame

The relentless, uncontrollable urge to pull has a profound effect on people's lives.

"The emotional impact is very deep. People feel very ashamed of their pulling," says Jennifer Raikes, who suffers from a relatively mild form of trich and has made a documentary film, Bad Hair Life, about the disorder.

Filming a support group she helped form, Raikes captured a startling glimpse into the hidden world of trich.

"I can't explain it to you, I can only show it to you," said one woman in the group, weeping as she removed her wig.

"At various times," Raikes said, "I pulled all my eyelashes out and most of my eyebrows. It started as a game, actually. I was pulling my eyelids away from my eyeball. It made a sucking noise. I was just playing and [an eyelash] came out. And I guess I was intrigued by that. It felt good."

A Maddening Compulsion

"Some people get a distinctly pleasurable sensation at the moment they pull. It's kind of a pleasurable pain," said psychologist Fred Penzel, author of The Hair Pulling Problem: A Complete Guide to Trichotillomania.

Penzel has worked with hundreds of sufferers and says whatever pleasure is derived, is immediately replaced by regret and shame.

"I've heard people refer to themselves as freaks," said Penzel. "'I'm disgusting. Who would ever want me? Who would ever have anything to do with anybody who's as crazy as I am?' "

Trich sufferers are not crazy, Penzel said. But for some people, the inability to stop nearly drives them mad.

Mandi Line said her compulsion drove her to thoughts of suicide. "There are definitely points where you want to die," Line said. "I didn't hate my life, but I thought, 'Well, God, if I'm not alive, then I don't pull my hair.' "

Line was a child model, homecoming queen and beauty pageant contestant. But her modeling days were cut short due to trich. "I was supposed to go to Miss Teen California and then I was set back by my hair," she said, adding, "Who's going to come out in the swimsuit category with a headband on?"

Line, who is now a wardrobe stylist in Hollywood, is a stunning young woman, but she says her compulsion has gotten worse. The night before her interview with 20/20's JuJu Chang, Line said she spent several hours in her room pulling out her hair.

She described her ritual to Chang: "There are certain spots that I pull from, and I go there, and I get it, and you can like hear … the popping of it pulling out. … I do it so fast now though. I pull it out, bite it. Pull it out, bite it. I don't swallow anything, but I bite the root, and make this popping noise. I have no idea why."

Sufferer Confronts Her Fear

Line says she has told some friends and co-workers about her disorder, but she's never been able to bring herself to expose her uncovered head. She decided to show 20/20 because, she said, she wants to confront her fear of ridicule and stop hiding.

Mandi Line reveals the effects of her hair-pulling compulsion on 20/20. (ABCNEWS.com)

"I'm just so sick of nobody knowing what this is," she said.

Despite her desire to show the world the physical effects of her hair pulling, intense feelings of shame nearly overpowered her resolve to show us. She cried, but she didn't back down.

Line has sworn off all drugs and therapy to deal with her compulsion. She says she's finally learned to accept herself, hair or no hair.

She says the most rewarding part of her journey has been the chance to be a role model at a summer camp for girls suffering from trich.

Line tries to comfort and encourage girls struggling with this compulsion. She said she wants young girls with trich to know it's still OK to be confident: "You don't have to be quiet and not talk to people because you think that you're ugly. You can still be cool and have no hair."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2003 ABCNEWS Internet Ventures.

Als de behoefte hebt om te reageren op dit artikel, dan kan dat in deze 'thread',

HaarWeb | De support-site voor en door lotgenoten met haarproblemen in Nederland en België

Huishoudelijk Reglement (Richtlijnen/Privacy/Disclaimer)
Code of Ethics

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can be helping many people, but if you are not helping yourself,
you have missed the one person you were born to heal.'

~Alan Cohen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Laatst gewijzigd door Webmaster; 29 april 2003 om 13:00
Webmaster is offline   Met citaat reageren
Reageren

Discussietools
Weergave Geef een waardering voor deze discussie
Geef een waardering voor deze discussie: